How to Start a Cyber Cafe Business in Nigeria
Advancement in technology in Nigeria has yielded a variety of positive changes. Many Nigerians can now boost of various technology-based businesses that are huge money spinner. One of these businesses is a cyber café, where Nigerians can pay a certain amount to use the Internet for a certain amount of time. One thing to note is that the cyber cafe business in Nigeria is an industry that is evolving very fast.
When cyber cafes otherwise knows as internet cafe first got started in Nigeria, the Internet was still new and was very expensive for people to have access to it in their homes. Nowadays, many people have smart phones, laptops and tablets and can access to the Internet from wherever they are; on the other hand, the a major number of people cannot not print, scan, photo copy, type or even do some online registration from their gadget. This still make starting a cyber cafe a lucrative business in Nigeria.
In starting a cyber café today, you have to be unique; you should not do what everyone else is doing. Bring something extra and different to the table. You can add a snack shop to your business. Most importantly are your customer service skills. Take your people skills to the next level by going above and beyond for your customers. This is the number one factor that is missing in most Nigerian businesses. By doing that alone will set you far above your competitors.
The only major challenge in starting a cyber cafe business in Nigeria is electricity. There’s currently no steady power supply in Nigeria so most people use generators which require a lot of petrol or diesel to run.
Here are the basic factors you need to consider if you want to start a cyber cafe business in Nigeria:
When considering opening a cyber café, you should find a well-known location where people will find easily. Good places to situate your cyber cafe include around universities, government parastatals and offices.
You can rent office space in an office building as long as the building can be located easily and is accessible. A good parking space is a big plus. If the cyber is in a building with many offices then you should put up directions signs that will lead your customers straight to your business. You do not want a situation in which customers will have to spend 10 minutes looking for your cyber café. Also erect a signpost so that people will know there is a cyber café there.
Registering your Internet Cafe Business in Nigeria
You should register you cyber café business with the National Communication Commission (NCC). The NCC is the agency saddled with the responsible for registering all forms of communication companies in Nigeria. Without this registration, your cyber business will be deemed as illegitimate, shutdown and you persecuted by the law. One of the advantages of registering is that it enables the NCC, in affiliation with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), to curb and monitor fraudsters using the cyber café. You should also register your business with the Corporate Affairs Commission Nigeria (CAC). This agency is authorized by law to register and issue certificate of registration to all legitimate businesses operating in Nigeria.
Equipment Needed to Start a Cyber Cafe Business in Nigeria:
- Computers – Computers are the major equipment needed to run a cyber café. So to start, you must have at least 10 computers. This will allow you to get a good return on your business. Of course, you can buy more, but you can get started with ten. You can buy fairly used computer system units but make sure you buy and use one of these new flat screen monitors with high resolution.
- Keyboards, Mouse, Web Cam, Mouth Piece,
- A commercial printer.
- A Scanning machine.
- A photocopier
- Binding and laminating machines.
- Standby Generator
- Modem and Router
- Fingerprint Scanner (For online registrations)
- Connectivity (LAN network settings)
- Internet (High Bandwidth) High speed.
- Internet Modem
- Electrical wiring and Cabling
- Softwares e.g. internet cyber timer, ticketing, antivirus etc.
- Furniture Set (computer tables, comfy seats etc.)
Internet Service Provider
An Internet service provider should be contacted for subscription. The services and charges vary. All of the GSM service providers and fixed wireless networks in Nigeria now offer attractive and fast Internet services that are easy to use. All you need to do is to subscribe and buy their modems, install them in your café, then relay the network to your work stations (computers).
How to set up your cyber café business in Nigeria
If you have been tutored in the act of computer networking, my take is that you contract a networking engineer to set up your server and network all your computers so that they will be able to communicate with the server PC and one another.
How to Start a Cyber Cafe Business in Nigeria – What To Do
- Make sure that your customers are not performing any illegal dealings in your cyber café.
- Use reliable timer software to prevent unauthorized log in.
- Security – ensure that the lives and property of your clients are safe.
- Provide extra services e.g. help clients with online reservations, registrations, bookings etc.
- Provide additional connection cables for customers who want to use their personal laptops in your cyber cafe.
How to Hire Employees for your Cyber Café Business
- Hire trusted café attendants who will be diligent in performing their duties at all times. These duties include selling tickets, and being of help to customers.
- They should also be able to operate a computer and all kinds of computer applications e.g. MS word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, Photoshop, etc.
- They should be able to operate other office equipment like the printers, scanner, laminating machine, generator, etc.
- Primarily, your staffs’ attitude and customer relations skill is one of the biggest factors to consider before hiring anybody. So make sure you hire employees who are pleasant, courteous and respectful.
How to Start a Cyber Cafe in Nigeria – Maintenance Culture
- To be able to run and manage a profitable cyber cafe you will have to be able to maintain your computers, generator and other equipment.
- It is almost a regular occurrence that you walk into a cyber cafe in Nigeria and find out that out of 25 computers that only 10 are working. And out of the 10, 3 have issues with some letters in their keyword and 2 computers are not connected to the UPS system. That is a cyber cafe that it not well managed and this will most definitely lead to the lack of patronage.
- A good cyber cafe maintenance procedure is to have spare computers, keyboards and mouse. This will ensure that as soon as there is complain about any of these gadgets, you can have it changed immediately and the faulty one sent for repairs.
- Always have a competent computer engineer visit your cyber cafe periodically to service your computers and printers.
- Make sure that your standby generator is well serviced and test ran at the beginning of every work day.
- Always pay your internet subscription on time
Remember that good maintenance culture will at the long run reduce your operational cost and increase your revenue, as your cyber cafe experience little or no down time.
Profit Potentials in a Cyber Cafe Business
I will use an illustration to buttress my point here:
- Let’s say your business opens for 12 hours a day (9am -8pm) for 6 days a week (excluding Sundays).
- You have 9 fully functional work stations (computers).
- You charge your customers N100 to use the internet for an hour.
- Assuming your computers are occupied for 8 hours out of 12 working hours per day, you will be making N900 per hour (i.e. N100 per hour X 9 computers) and N7,200 per day (i.e. N900 per hour X 8 working hours per day).
- In a month you will be making about N187, 200 on a monthly bases excluding Sundays. This figure is just for internet browsing alone.
You will also make money for performing the following services:
- Scanning documents
- Photocopying documents
- Graphic designs
- Online registrations
By now you should have been convinced that starting a cyber cafe business in Nigeria is truly a lucrative business. You can thank me later.
If you have more details or a question on how to start a internet cafe business in Nigeria, please use our comment box below.